By Heather | August 20th, 2020
If you’re lucky enough to have a bit of outside space, chances are you’ve been doing some tidying up of the garden during the past few months of quarantine. So far since the start of the UK lockdown, we have removed an old patio, levelled the ground underneath, put down a weed barrier, laid a shed base, put down 2 tonnes of gravel and a tonne of bark, relaid the slabs in the front garden and, at some point in the next few weeks we’re having a summerhouse delivered.
Not built. Just delivered. In bits… The building of said summerhouse is going to be a “fun project”. My better half thinks it’s going to be a garden office but I’m leaning towards having my own little pub. One without masks, social distancing and staff supervised trips to the loo. And I’m chuffed I’ll have a bit of sheltered space to entertain in the garden since now we’re allowed to have a few friends round, and a couple more if you stay outdoors, it seems BBQ’s will be the order of the day!
Here are a few frozen cocktail recipes to help you chill out in the garden this summer. Drink responsibly… I’m still more than a wee bit singed after staying outside a little too long to enjoy a lockdown margarita.
Looks so pretty in a large gin balloon.
- Box of ice poles/freeze pops
- 50ml of your favourite gin (chilled)
- 250ml bottle of premium tonic (chilled)
- Starting with red, break an ice pole into small chunks and layer them into a gin balloon (the order will be red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple).
- Pack the ice down a little to stop the layers mixing when you add your liquid.
- Pour in your gin.
- Top with tonic and add a paper straw.
- If you’re not a fan of gin, this will work with any clear drink. Try a vodka lemon/lime or white rum with lemonade.
Frozen Berry Margaritas
Lovely and refreshing on a hot day.
- Frozen Berries
- 50ml Tequila (chilled)
- 50ml Triple sec (chilled)
- Coarse salt (chilled)
- Add two cups of frozen berries to a blender or smoothie maker and blend to form a smooth slushy consistancy.
- Pour in the tequila, triple sec and a generous squeeze of lime juice and pulse to blend.
- Rim your glass with lime juice and dip into course salt to coat the edge.
- Pour in the frozen margarita and garnish with a wedge of lime.
Fruity Wine Slushies
Dont be too heavy handed with the syrup, you want it to be fruity and refreshing, not sickly sweet.
- 2.5 cups of chopped frozen strawberries
- 2.5 cups of chopped frozen peaches
- 1.5 cups of well chilled rose wine
- Grenadine syrup
- Agave syrup
- Pop your frozen strawberries in a blender or smoothie maker.
- Add half of your white wine and a few drops of grenadine to taste.
- Blend until you have a smooth slushie texture.
- Half fill each glass with the slush.
- Rinse out your blender.
- Add the frozen peaches to the blender with the remaining wine and a few drops of agave syrup to taste.
- Blend to a smooth slushie consistancy.
- Spoon the peach slush mixture on top of the strawberry mixture to fill the glass.
- Garnish with a fresh strawberry and a paper straw.
Easy Peasy Adult Slushies
Quick, easy and cooling, for when you can’t wait to get outside and enjoy the sun.
- A box of tropical flavour ice lollies
- 50ml spiced rum (chilled)
- Pineapple chunks
- Fresh lime
- Break two ice lollies into chunks and drop into the blender.
- Add your rum and a squeeze of lime juice and blend to a smooth slushie consistancy.
- Add to a glass and garnish with fresh chunks of pineapple and a straw.
Hopefully these will give you some inspiration for your own tasty frozen treats to make while you stay home and make the most of the new normal.